Re: apt-get install wordperfect?

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 08:32:33PM -0700, Andrew D Lenharth wrote:
> There use to be a star office isntaller deb and a netscape installer deb.
> they required you download the tars from the vendors, but once you did,
> they would install them for you.  Maybe this functionality could be
> abstracted, and a vnedor need only fill in a few fields?  Just thoughts :)
>
> On Wed, 26 May 1999, James Mastros wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 08:01:27PM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:
> > > Is it possible for commercial software to make it into the Debian
> > > archives(presumably in non-free)?
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd tend to agree with the feeling in the above (apt-able archives of
> > non-(DFSG)-free but (beer)-free are a Good Thing), but don't like the idea
> > of Debian doing it -- it just dosn't seem like your (Caveat empator: I am
> > not a debian-developer (yet)) place, and it almost certianly wasn't the idea
> > of the people donating server space/bandwidth to be hosting commercial
> > software.  Perhaps all we need to do is write a nice easy
> > commercial-software-packaging HOWTO, complete from writing a workable
> > package (which dosn't have to comply with debain policy, making it /really/
> > easy) to creating a nice place to put them with a Packages.gz.
> >
> > Make it trivial for the commercial people to let their customers use apt's
> > slickness, and perhaps they will... and we certianly wouldn't mind.

Er, apt supports multiple archives, so if something's not free enough
to put in non-free, but they want to distribute it for debian users,
there is nothing stopping them from putting their own valid archive
for apt to use. They could then use some licensing mechanism for
activation, as most of them already do.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.