Re: mass-installing Debian

Michel Kaempf <maxx@via.ecp.fr> writes:

> On Mon, May 24, 1999, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be nice if dpkg would tell you what exactly has changed
> > between the packages config file and what the difference to your
> > config is?
> >
> > I allways wonder what has changed, since I normally haven't changed
> > those files dpkg askes me about.
>
> Everything already exists in dpkg to perform this comparison : when
> dpkg prompts me for a config file replacement, I type `Z' to get a
> shell, and I use `diff package.conf package.conf.dpkg-new' to find
> out the differences between the two files...
>
> I think that making this step automatical would make a dpkg session
> too verbose and too prompting.

Thats one diff I would like to see. What about the changes the
original config files from the package went through? Maybe I have
chnaged option A in my file, but in the original file option B has
changed its default. You can't detect whats changed by you and what by
the maintainer.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin