Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 07:49:11PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> some version of vi is essential on a rescue disk, regardless of what some
> windows using loudmouth happens to think (and no, i'm not referring to
> you here joseph).

That's just silly. If someone can figure out vi, they really ought to be
able to figure out how to use an editor with on-screen help. We're not
forcing anyone to write a book with it, just use it for a couple of
seconds in an emergency.

> ae is fine except for the vi emulation mode.  it does the job, a simple
> no-frills no-features text editor.

I disagree: I think it's still more complicated than it needs to be.
E.g., the big block of commands at the upper left is a bit too
cluttered. The prompts sometimes leave something to be desired (When I
type ^X^C after changing a file, why does the prompt have n^H at the end
of it?) And it _is_ possible for people to get trapped in ae--but people
are able to escape ee by typing the escape key and answering the
prompts.

Mike Stone