Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 07:49:11PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > some version of vi is essential on a rescue disk, regardless of what some
> > windows using loudmouth happens to think (and no, i'm not referring to
> > you here joseph).
>
> That's just silly. If someone can figure out vi, they really ought to be
> able to figure out how to use an editor with on-screen help. We're not
> forcing anyone to write a book with it, just use it for a couple of
> seconds in an emergency.
>
> > ae is fine except for the vi emulation mode.  it does the job, a simple
> > no-frills no-features text editor.
>
> I disagree: I think it's still more complicated than it needs to be.

Complicated?

> E.g., the big block of commands at the upper left is a bit too
> cluttered.

Upper left? You _are_ refering to the help screen aren't you? This screen
coveres the top third of the screen, and includes every operation ae will
perform. How would you suggest that I make it less "cluttered"?

The phrase, "a bit too cluttered" is not something I can convert into a
patch ;-)

>           The prompts sometimes leave something to be desired (When I
> type ^X^C after changing a file, why does the prompt have n^H at the end
> of it?)

This is a bug that both the author and myself have been unable to resolve.
It seems to be an artifact of key encoding, but, since the error isn't
obvious, it could just as easily be caused by something else (like a
curses difficulty of a completely different nature). As it is only visual
cruft, and doesn't effect the opperation of the program, I have not been
too frantic about it...

>         And it _is_ possible for people to get trapped in ae--but people

While this was true for several "broken" releases of ae, this has not been
possible for a long time. The reason this missinformation remains in play
for so long is that folks continue to use old, broken rescue disks. The
current version of ae does not suffer from this problem, and hasn't for
some time.

> are able to escape ee by typing the escape key and answering the
> prompts.

<cntrl> Q works in ae.

Luck,

Dwarf