Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:20:12PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 10:51:03PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Then we should ditch the vi idea altogether.  Why?  Sure, *some*
> > experienced people will expect it.  Here's one experienced person who
> > doesn't, however.  What I *do* expect is an *easy* editor, not one that
> > conforms to how I work.
>
> A simple script that tells them to use ee would be fine I think.  They'd
> live.  Gods, it's just a flippin' boot disk for crying out loud!

no, it's more than just a boot disk.

it's a rescue disk.

some version of vi is essential on a rescue disk, regardless of what some
windows using loudmouth happens to think (and no, i'm not referring to
you here joseph).

> They WILL SURVIVE.  I'd say just leave ae, except that given my
> problems with it, I would never want to be stuck needing an editor I
> can't promise will even work in 5 minutes.

ae is fine except for the vi emulation mode.  it does the job, a simple
no-frills no-features text editor.

the only problem with it is that it's vi emulation sucks, which isn't
ae's fault...it's our fault for trying to make it do more than it can.

> ee is the right choice.

ee is better than ae, no doubt about it. however if there's 50+K
available on the rescue disk for ee it would be better to use that space
for a decent minimal vi clone (elvis-tiny needs ~67K).

craig

--
craig sanders