Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 10:06:23AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > ae barely even WORKS!
> > it's crap in every other mode, it's just crap!  =>
> > _PICO_ is a more functional editor than ae, at least it works.
> > toss ae, and get something that functions.
>
> >From what I've seen, ae functions perfectly. It sucks when you have to
> run it on an ill terminal (as joe does), but when you run it from the
> console it works just right. And that is the primary purpose, since it
> comes on the boot disks as a 'rescue' editor. I don't see anyone
> complaining about ash being the only shell on the boot diskette - then
> why should we ban ae?

It didn't work right console, that was my issue.  It may work better now,
but the thing is still messy and the editor doesn't allow you to do basic
editor functions.  I'm not even talking about the more advanced things I
do with joe and vim either, I'm talking basic editing.  PICO is more
functional than ae.

ee is more functional than pico and the package version is 85k, with all
the cruft you'd kill from a floppy.  It's almost twice the size of ae,
but then joe is ten times the size.

> If people don't WANT to learn it's key shortcuts (which are displayed by
> default when you enter it), that certainly is not ae's fault. I don't see
> how/why would anyone want to disguise it as vi, that's not needed.

Agreed.  The "vi mode" in ae is downright harmful.

> > Maybe joe or something?  The standard joe package is way too big and
> > someone would almost certainly have to come up with a joe-tiny package or
> > something, but it'd at least work---compared to ae which does not!
>
> I also like joe - but it is rather large for a bootdisk editor...

ee is about the right size..  Bigger than ae, but I could use ee
occasionally and not feel sick doing it.  In fact, with another 15k of
code cruft adding things like ^C read !command (which is already
supported to an extent with ^C !command---the difference is that you
would of course catch stdout) and changing the keybindings it uses for
some stuff, I could be happy with ee as my standard editor!  I may look
at the source and if it's clean enough you may well see a package ke
soon.  =>

<change_m2> Will LINUX ever overtake sliced bread as the #1 achievement
            of mankind?