Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 01:48:03PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > someone (miquel, perhaps) made elvis-tiny a year or two back, and it fit
> > on the boot disk. would be nice if it could be made to fit again. elvis
> > isn't as good as vim, but it's much better than ae.
>
> Better for the experts who know vi, not as good for the novices who
> have no idea what vi is or how to use it.  Vi is a nightmare if you're
> used to programs like DOS edit or notepad.  I do agree that ae should
> give some sort of warning that it's *not* true vi, though.

ae barely even WORKS!  It's crap in "vi mode", it's crap in every other
mode, it's just crap!  =>  I'd have to say that _PICO_ is a more
functional editor than ae, at least it works.

I suggest we stop pretending to have a vi on the base disks, toss ae, and
get something that functions.  Preferably without either vi or emacs keys
or anything like them so people who are used to having those can see
right out that they're dealing with a different animal.

Maybe joe or something?  The standard joe package is way too big and
someone would almost certainly have to come up with a joe-tiny package or
something, but it'd at least work---compared to ae which does not!

* m2 stares at the monitor... it looks like a hamburger...
<Knghtbrd> m2 - that's a bad sign