Re: evan leibovitch and the LPI certification tests

*Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I can't speak for others, but *I* do it cause it pleases my
>  muse. Getting Debian out to the great unwashed masses rouses little
>  but mild curiosity in me, and certainly not eough to warrant the
>  amount of effort I put into my packages.

	In general, it seems that  making Debian useful to the masses and
making it useful to developers are not antithetical goals.  There is a lot
that can be done to make it better for both groups.   I am worried about a
minimum amount of interest in order to keep Debian (or something like it )
going.  But it doesn't look like interest will wane in the near future.

	RH's rhetoric is that growth of Debian and Caldera helps RH. And I
think they believe this rhetoric to a certain extent.  If the time came when
a significant number of people were asking companies to support their Debian
boxes, RH would not hesitate to offer that support.  Everything I have read
makes me believe that VA and SGI and Compaq and whoever will have no problem
responding to a demand to install and support Debian.

	If Debian developers want more commercial success, they can work for
it.  If enough (like Manoj) don't care, then we won't get commercial support
and recognition.   It's probably OK either way.  They can't drive us out of
business.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org