Re: request to kill nag messages

Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 09:24:19PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Well what is the problem with this? I don't see any offence in getting a
> > message that says that I (the maintainer) has still open bug over a
> > certain age. I think this is a good reminder for the maintainers as you
> > may forget to fix bugs. Take a look at the ppp-package and how many open
> > bugs there have been. The maintainer hadn't fixed them and so I helped
> > him. (Sorry Phil, but this is a good example and No, I don't want to
> > praise me with this). Or have you taken a look at the list on
> > http://master.debian.org/~ajt/bugsbyage.txt? Have you seen how many open
> > old bugs we got? How do you think we get this fixed without reminding
> > the developers of their open bugs?

> I think you miss the point. Nobody's arguing that we shouldn't keep a
> public list of open old bugs. For interested developers it makes
> sense to do some qa after checking such a list.

ACK

> The point is that the diligent maintainer is well aware of his/her
> open old bug reports and usually has some valid reasons to leave the
> bug report open.

Then why doesn't he place a message in the BTS saying why it isn't
possible to fix the bug? So that people lookin throught the BTS see, if
they can help to fix the bug or if this isn't possible?

> Example: I've got an open old bug report that flying
> (a X11 pool game) doesn't support 16/24 bit displays. The upstream

This would speak for making the mechanismen configurable. Would this be
a solution?

Cheers
       Christian
* Christian Kurz                                  Debian Developer *
*         Use Debian - a free Operating System for your PC         *