Re: request to kill nag messages

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 03:32:20PM -0400, shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not the only one to be annoyed at the nag messages that are sent out.
> > > Can the script please be disabled.  There are better ways to find out bugs
> > > you have open.  Long-standing bugs are likely to be less important than
> > > recent bugs too.
> > >

> > I would rather see the old bugs closed.  An old bug is still a bug.
> >
> > Don't like the messages, help close the bugs.

> Wrong.  Brian White is no longer the release manager, so he has no special
> privilege to send mails like this.

Oh, does somebody need a special privilege to tell us which general bugs
are too old and need to be resolved? I don't think so.

> This is no different from some "helpful" developer spamming people who,
> say, have had bugs open for over a year.  Such people have (rightly) come
> under fire in the past.

And what do you propose should be done with bugs that are so old? Still
let them stay open and look somewhere else? No, that isn't a solution.
The solution is to contact the developer and ask them about the bugs and
try to track the problem down and fix the bug. This has nothing do to
with spamming instead these are person, which are interested in
improving th quality of the distribution.

Cheers
       Christian
* Christian Kurz                                  Debian Developer *
*         Use Debian - a free Operating System for your PC         *