Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

* Ossama Othman said:

>  > One alternative that's probably worth considering is improving libdpkg, so
>  > that Apt and friends can make use of dpkg that way, and provide their own
>  > front ends however they see fit.
>
> I don't think that is a "complete" solution.  Improving libdpkg would
> be good but, as Aaron described, that would just be adding/modifying
> code to code that is already "brittle."
Well, a complete rewrite and redesign in C would help...

>  > any language against C based libraries. As far as I'm aware doing the same
>  > to C++ (or other object-oriented languages) is a pain in the neck.
>
> C++ libraries aren't bad once you get to know them.  If you are
It isn't about C++ libraries being bad, or C++ being bad language, but about
compatibility and an issue of C++ still being in a state of flux in a GNU
world...

>  > And I don't particularly think it's much of a gain to say "You want
>  > access to dpkg's internals? Just use C++!". C++ is all well and good,
>  > but it's not *that* good.
>
> Hrm.  I would have to disagree with you.  Using object oriented
> techniques certainly makes things easier to maintain, extend and debug.
> Using object oriented "design patterns" (see any good book on OO design
> patterns), for example, makes code much easier to understand and/or
> implement.
That's true, but again, the compatibility and unstability of the C++
implementation on the GNU platform is an obstacle. OTOH, we have Objective
C...

>  > > Whether or not the community approves of this,
>  > > I will pursue it, and let the chips fall where they may.
>  >
>  > Good luck, FWIW. I've no doubt you'll need it.
>
> Indeed.  It is an ambitious endeavor but a worthy one nevertheless,
> IMHO.  Aaron, you've got my support. :)
I'm not convinced this is a good way, but I admire the courage - g'luck from
me as well :))

regards,
  marek