Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

Hi Marek,

On 19 May, Marek Habersack wrote:
 > * Ossama Othman said:
 > > I don't think that is a "complete" solution.  Improving libdpkg would
 > > be good but, as Aaron described, that would just be adding/modifying
 > > code to code that is already "brittle."
 > Well, a complete rewrite and redesign in C would help...

Yep, I agree.  Although, I still like Aaron's idea.

 > >  > any language against C based libraries. As far as I'm aware doing the same
 > >  > to C++ (or other object-oriented languages) is a pain in the neck.
 > >
 > > C++ libraries aren't bad once you get to know them.  If you are
 > It isn't about C++ libraries being bad, or C++ being bad language, but about
 > compatibility and an issue of C++ still being in a state of flux in a GNU
 > world...

Good point.  However, now that there is a C++ standard I don't believe
that the state of flux you mention is a major issue.  EGCS has been
fairly stable in terms of existing language feature support.  Stuff
like RTTI and exception handling aren't major issues since they can
easily be disabled.

 > > Hrm.  I would have to disagree with you.  Using object oriented
 > > techniques certainly makes things easier to maintain, extend and debug.
 > > Using object oriented "design patterns" (see any good book on OO design
 > > patterns), for example, makes code much easier to understand and/or
 > > implement.
 > That's true, but again, the compatibility and unstability of the C++
 > implementation on the GNU platform is an obstacle. OTOH, we have Objective
 > C...

I've never tried Objective C.  How is it?  Is Objective-C link
compatible with standard C?  Just curious.

 > I'm not convinced this is a good way, but I admire the courage - g'luck from
 > me as well :))

It certainly does seem like it will be difficult.  I am sure Aaron has
thought this thing through, including the friendly opposition of late.

BTW, I just want to thank everyone who has been participating in this
discussion for keeping it _friendly_.  It can certainly turn into into
a C/C++ flame war but I am glad everyone has been calm and rational.
Thanks again! :-)

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis