Re: (LONG) Correct non-US solution

Debian is about freedom, specifically freedom of software.  Being seen as
examplary citizens can only help our cause.  We have a sterling reputation
for high standards.

I agree with you on using the two letter iso country codes.  However, I
don't see a need for the extra fields Use-Restricted and Patent-Restricted.
If a country limits the freedom of the software, then there is no point in
importing it.  Debian is not set up to cater to a million local regulations,
we only want to help get our software on as many mirrors as can legally take
it without opening ourselves up to wrath from above.

The only reason for bothering with respecting import restrictions is for
people who WISH to have boxes compliant with local law, no matter how much
that compromises their personal freedom.  The case may easily be that
violation of the law could limit their freedom even further.  How about
government funded agencies who don't dare do one thing out of line for
fear of losing their government funding?  This puts us one step towards
being usable and friendly for everyone.  If we demonstrably have a solution
to that, that puts us far ahead of every other linux distribution in MANY
countries out there.

Cheers

Jonathan