Re: y2k compliance - release goal for potato ???

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 07:55:00AM +0100, John Lines wrote:
> Should we make year 2000 compliance a goal for potato ?- i.e. everyone should
> check their packages for year 2000 compliance, and have the Debian web page
> updated to confirm this (I am sure there are many packages which are
> compliant, but where the maintainer has just not got around to saying so)
>
> 		John Lines
>
> p.s. Anyone who is running Debian in a corporate environment is probably
> being nagged by their management about year 2000 issues. (all our Windows
> NT stuff is Year 2000 compliant - it must be because they keep releasing
> updates to make it be ;-)

Linux is almost completely y2k compliant BY DEFAULT.  Any y2k issues that
haven't been fixed by now will get fixed in SLINK, not just potato.  We
don't know of any that remain however.  If something binary only in
non-free breaks, you are on your own unless someone else fixes it.

hmm, psychic sig generator strikes again!

While the year 2000 (y2k) problem is not an issue for us, all Linux
implementations will impacted by the year 2038 (y2.038k) issue. The
Debian Project is committed to working with the industry on this issue
and we will have our full plans and strategy posted by the first quarter
of 2020.