Re: y2k compliance - release goal for potato ???

> Linux is almost completely y2k compliant BY DEFAULT.  Any y2k issues that
> haven't been fixed by now will get fixed in SLINK, not just potato.  We
> don't know of any that remain however.  If something binary only in
> non-free breaks, you are on your own unless someone else fixes it.

You don't have to do the publicity bit on -devel. I know that there are no
problems with the kernel, but year 2000 issues are subtle and crop up in
many unexpected places - just because the kernel is OK does not mean that
the whole distribution is OK. (and it is main (or even base) that I am
concerned about - not non-free)

Have a look at http://www.debian.org/y2k/   You will see that most of the
packages in the base system are marked as 'Unknown'. It would be better for
Debian if these were checked and marked as OK (or problems found and fixed).

I had a little look at adduser, which was OK, and base-files, which had a
subtle documentation problem (the GPL says you should write a license with
19yy as the date, though this is fixed in the LGPL), which is why it is
marked OK?

Most of the packages need someone who knows their inner workings, to look
through them and check them.

	John Lines