Old Library dependencies Re: Release Plans (19990513)

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> (Please send followups to this mail to debian-devel, not
> debian-devel-announce)

> This is what I learned from the responses to the previous announcement.

>   Boot disks:
>   CD Images:
>   Architectures:
>   PAM:
>  Perl 5.005:

Library dependencies:

  Remove as many dependencies on old libraries as possible, this
  includes:

    libjpegg6a, libncurses3.4, newt0.25, libpgsql, tk4.2, tcl7.6,
    libwraster1, libpng0g

  and various older gtk/gnome libraries.

Problematic packages can be found using "apt-cache showpkg libjpegg6a"
(replace libjpegg6a with the outdated library).  A whole list of
packages can be done with a script like:

  (LIBS="libpng0g newt0.25 ncurses3.4 libpgsql libjpegg6a tcl7.6 libwraster1"
  for pkg in $LIBS; do
    apt-cache showpkg $pkg|sed -e '/^Reverse D/,/^[^ ]/p;d'|grep -v Depend
  done)| sort -u

(We should filter out an exceptions list too - these lists will have
to be seperately generated for each architecture.)  It might also be a
good idea to add a filter to dinstall to keep new packages that depend
on one of these libraries from being uploaded (with a suitable
exceptions list).  A raw list of "bad" packages is at the end of this
message.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu

  abiword,libpng0g