Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

Hi Richard,

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 01:02:10PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Excellent.  Would someone like to be a "sponsor" for that, in the sense
> that I described last March?
>
> :   * Don't try to keep track of everything.  Find a "sponsor" for each
> : release goal, who keeps track of progress, makes sure it happens, and
> : gives advance warning of any problems.  That way the release manager
> : only has to stay in touch with the sponsor.

Could you please add "IPv6 Support" as a Release Goal? I'm willing to
act as a sponsor for this (especially since it looks like everyone else
is more than happy to do the actual work :).

We're aiming, more or less, to get the base system IPv6 capable for potato,
and, I guess, most of the networky programs of priority Standard or higher
for woody [0].

We're currently at the point where:

In potato:
    * bind supports AAAA records (and has for ages)
    * netbase supports IPv6 interfaces, has a working ping6, and traceroute6

In progress: [1]

    * telnet/telnetd (support for both IPv6 and IPv4 in one binary)
    * inetd, tcp-wrappers
    * apache
    * zmailer
    * radvd

Under consideration: (working packages aren't available yet)

    * Exim
        Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> (the exim.deb maintainer)
    * GNU Zebra
	Matthew Schlegel <nitehawk@1ststep.net> (tentative intent to package)
        Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au) (from the WNPP)
    * apt
        Remco van de Meent <remco@debian.org> (currently just trying things out)

Still to do for potato:

    * ftp, ftpd
    * finger, fingerd
    * identd
    * tcpdump
    * lynx
    * ssh

We're also working on getting a 6-bone subnet (or something similar) to help
testing all this.

Cheers,
aj

[0] ...or whatever.

[1] Packages have been made, and are available for testing from either of:

    deb http://www.debian.org/~ajt/ipv6 ipv6 unstable
    deb ftp://ftp.ipv6.nl/pub debian/

    The sites are more or less synced; they're also i386 only at the
    moment. All packages in the staging area *need* testing, btw: if you
    try one and it does/doesn't work, please send a mail to the -ipv6
    list so we know when things are ready to be mashed into potato.

       ``There's nothing worse than people with a clue.
             They're always disagreeing with you.''
                                 -- Andrew Over