Re: Use of the -devel-announce list

On Wed, 12 May, 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> Please can I encourage anyone posting to -devel-announce to ensure
> that they have set the Reply-To: field to something sensible, and to
> encourage anyone replying to a -devel-announce posting to check where
> they are sending their reply.  (Hint: -devel-announce is usually not
> appropriate!)
>
> This is meant to be a very low volume announcement list, and it would
> be good to keep it that way.
>
> Question: would it be worth making -devel-announce a moderated list?

No, that is not the hacker way, that is the suit way.

The solution must be that every time you see a follow-up in debian-announce
that should not be there you send a message in private mail, to the author
explaining their mistake.

They will get a couple of mails telling them not to do it and they won't do it
agian.

I wonder if you know how ITS stops hackers crashing the system. They had a
KILL SYSTEM command that would crash the system. A newbie would find it, run
it and the system would crash, everybody would shout at them and they would
never do it agian. Nobody got a kick out of crashing the system so nobody did
it, except newbies, and they were newbies, so could be forgive, once.

--
I consume, therefore I am