Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

>> "AVC" == Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net> writes:

[ GNOME rebuild for slink ]

AVC> I can do this, albeit gradually. Um, to set a time frame, I'd say
AVC> I could have the majority of the gnome packages built on slink
AVC> (if everything works smoothly) within a week or so.

Not to double effords: I installed slink in an vmware environment on
my main box yesterday, and started rebuilding. It is a PII 300 with
128 MB Ram, so compiling is much faster than on my dedicated P90 48 MB
slink box.

So far, I have

Contact me per mail, so we can coordinate on this (and further
discussion should be on debian-gtk-gnome).

The vmware environment is great. Finally a way to compile for slink on
a potato box. And it is great for testing. You can test installations
(and take screenshots), test upgrade paths and discard the changes
made during the session, so you can try again from the same point etc.

It is bloody non-free, so most likely I get kicked in the ass for this
:-), but how about asking them, if they could donate some of the final
products for developement of debian? I know, I could make some space
on the disk for a seperate partition, but vmware still has some
advantages (no repartitioning, growing diskusage as it is needed,
ability to discard changes, runs as a window in a controlled
environment).

AVC> But first, I don't quite understand the 'proposed-updates'
AVC> process.  someone will need to explain this to me...

The upload should go into the slink staging area first, so it can be
tested. www.debian.org/~jim has a readme how to do this.

Ciao,
	Martin