Re: Perl 5.005 stability

According to Aaron Van Couwenberghe:
> On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 08:14:24PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > This means that upgrading perl (whenever it is done) will need the same degree
> > of care applied as for dpkg, dselect, boot-floppies, debian-cd and all other
> > essential parts of debian infrastructure, and -not- that of "just another app".
>
> You forget to mention some important points -- those new features in perl
> 5.005 are both underdeveloped and buggy.

The only part of Perl 5.005 that could be described as "underdeveloped
and buggy" is the threading.  So I wouldn't suggest that Debian's
default Perl have threading enabled.  Otherwise, though, 5.005 is
plenty stable -- it's on its third maintenance patch.

All IMO, of course.  But I am one of the core Perl developers, so my
opinion is at least educated.
--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip@perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."