Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de> writes:

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Dave Neil wrote:
>
> > Here's some more details.  A.The X install would use the VGA16
> >server.  B.You could also do the install with curses via console, and
> >no X.

> ... I think thats a sane decision.  I really dislike flickering lowest
> "smallest common denominator" VGA waste and really prefer console
> installation in any case.  For those who think that any user interface
> is easy to use if they need only the mouse move around, we should
> think about making gpm work and find a text based system with mouse
> support.

We should just adapt Red Hat's X configurator.  It automatically
detects modern video cards.  (And will actually print the name of the
required X server package, when given the right arguments.)

(Red Hat's program runs in text mode, except for the dialog to enable
xdm, which runs under X to guarantee that X is actually working before
the user enables xdm.)

> > C.Yes there would have to be architecture specific modifications to
> >the process, but hopefully by keeping it flexible in its design, it
> >would be doable.

On the sparc architecture, all video cards can be auto detected.  This
is probably also true of the ARM architecture (only one card?). I
suspect the Alpha uses the PCI subset of the i386 cards, which also
can be auto detected (all PCI cards have a unique id number that
designates the make and model).  Dunno about m68k.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu