Re: base-files (2.1.6) - installs new directories

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 02:20:28PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>
> >      My weekly update to my potato included updating base-files to
> > 2.1.6.  It created three empty directories - /floppy, /cdrom, and
> > /initrd.  Creating the first two of these was discussed on one of the
> > mailing lists, and it is a Good Thing for new installations, but these
> > mount points shouldn't be created on an update. [...]
>
> Actually, they are not "created", they are just "re-created".
>
> base-files_2.1.5 had them, base-files_2.1.6 has not. I have just added
> some extra code in preinst and postinst so that those directories are
> created again if (and only if) they previously existed in your system.
>
> As stated in the changelog entries, I've tried to follow the principle of
> least surprise here.

You failed to take into account that the user may have deleted them on
purpose, which I did, and I don't want them there, I moved them to a
subdir. So I suggest only doing it on a fresh install, not an upgrade.
/cdrom and /floppy are not used (iirc) by any of our scripts and so the
user should be able to delete them, or signal to base-files somehow to not
recreate them. I added my changes to diversions (manually) in hopes that
it will support it one day. I also did this for /root since my /home is
not on another partition, I moved it to /home/root.

Instead of hacking and forcing theses preferentially placed directories,
I suggest implementing something to make it easier for users to choose
what they want.