base-files (2.1.6) - installs new directories

     My weekly update to my potato included updating base-files to
2.1.6.  It created three empty directories - /floppy, /cdrom, and
/initrd.  Creating the first two of these was discussed on one of the
mailing lists, and it is a Good Thing for new installations, but these
mount points shouldn't be created on an update.  Most, if not all,
users will have their own preferred mount points already in place.

     What is the purpose of the empty directory /initrd?

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>