Re: Interactive installation [was Re: Caldera installation...]

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 13:05:26 -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> I believe that all installation scripts are indeed that, right?

Not quite.

zensunni ray 19:20 /var/lib/dpkg/info > file *.{pre,post}* | grep -v script
libreadlineg2.postinst:             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

> In that case, we could label them with stylized comments at the beginning
> or the end:

This would be a start.

> Just trying to suggest a possible mechanism.

I was thinking more of having new scripts {pre,post}{inst,rm}-ni for
non-interactive.

IIRC, Wichert has given this type of issue a lot of thought for his
configuration management proposals too. We'd better look those up first...

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.