Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 09:27:36AM -0700, R Garth Wood wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, R Garth Wood wrote:
> > > ditto. As our distribution will be open source I hope debian will
> > > adopt our changes.
> >
> > I think the debian-admintool list archives might interest you. In
> > particular Wichert's config system proposal.
>
> I have read it. Keeping data in a text file that needs to be parsed
> is an antiquated notion that needs to be eliminated.

nak!

with that one comment, i think you have guaranteed that debian won't
take your config system at all seriously.

unix runs on text files, whether hand-edited or generated by a program.
that will never change.

like most long-time unix users, my attitude towards replacing text
config files with a windows-style Registry can be summed up as: "over my
dead body!".

you can't edit a Registry with vi.  enough said.

craig

--
craig sanders