Re: DB Driven debian WAS RE: Caldera installation - something Debianshould learn

might as well take this opportunity to de-lurk...

R Garth Wood wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Brimhall, GeoffreyX L wrote:
>
> <snip> stuff about config data in dbs and discussion about data corruption.
> </snip>

seems to me the advantage of text based config files is the richness of the tools
available to manipulate them. sed, awk, perl, emacs, cat, head, tail, grep, etc,
etc, etc. What was the db api you were proposing? how does it compare to these?

i actually think a reasonable middle ground is xml. it's still text, but the
structure of the file can trivially be exposed as a DOM tree to any tools that
want to manipulate it in a more structured way. There was someone talking
recently about extending some of the basic utilities to spit out xml for this
reason - eg 'ls --xml' would give a nice structred xml stream instead of the
usual presentation, which either text or DOM based tools could do more with.

as for data corruption, how about backup and/or mirroring? works well here. we
even do it with our databases because they have the same problems and same
solutions.

  enjoy

   jimbo