Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

Quoting Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 04:06:42PM -0400, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> > > The Caldera installation program has not only leapfrogged other
> > > versions of Linux in usability, but it now surpasses the Windows 9x
> > > installation for friendliness and efficiency. For example, it installs
> > > all of your Linux programs in the background while you continue
> > > working with the installation program to answer common configuration
> > > questions. Ain't multitasking wonderful when programs are smart enough
> > > to use it?
> >
> > I agree with this, Caldera has really the coolest install from all
> > linuxes; it even has Tetris while you run the installation. And I don't
> > see the new installation is seem very impressive.
>
> The obvious question is, does it fit on two floppies?

Surely not! ;) But you can used one to start the process if you can't
boot directly on the CD. BTW, if the interface is cool, I'm still prefer
the Debian boot-floppies, and especially, the tiny base installation.

Caldera was cool and impressive, make goods demo and is aimed for
corporation, "don't care about technical"-newbie and busy IS department.
It's really not an all-purpose-finely-twick-highly-configurable
distribution as Debian.

> --
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>            Debian GNU/Linux developer
> PGP: E8D68481E3A8BB77 8EE22996C9445FBE            The Source Comes First!
> <MFGolfBal> rit/ara:  There's something really demented about UNIX
>             underwear...

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur                    Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70