Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 09:55:37AM -0400, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> > > I agree with this, Caldera has really the coolest install from all
> > > linuxes; it even has Tetris while you run the installation. And I don't
> > > see the new installation is seem very impressive.
> >
> > The obvious question is, does it fit on two floppies?
>
> Surely not! ;) But you can used one to start the process if you can't
> boot directly on the CD. BTW, if the interface is cool, I'm still prefer
> the Debian boot-floppies, and especially, the tiny base installation.
>
> Caldera was cool and impressive, make goods demo and is aimed for
> corporation, "don't care about technical"-newbie and busy IS department.
> It's really not an all-purpose-finely-twick-highly-configurable
> distribution as Debian.

Then we need a way other than a pile of floppies to install it without a
cdrom.  Currently it can be done by downloading a base_21.tgz and putting
it somewhere, then you only need 2 floppies.  Perhaps if we make the base
system fit into a smaller footprint we could do something likat that but
I don't want to give up the CD-less installation.  If we're going to go
changing things, let's change them right eh?

I think I'll have a look at the base system to see what I can see, but
I'm wondering if maybe making the base not use ncurses or something, it
might save a little space.  Also some of the other things..  I'm not sure
how much space can be recovered but the more the merrier.

Debian Linux is a solid, comprehensive product, and a genuine pleasure to
use.  It is also great to become involved with the Debian collective,
whose friendliness and spirit recalls the early days of the Internet and
its sense of openness and global cooperation.