Re: Namespace collision

On Tue, 20 Apr, 1999, Brian E. Ermovick wrote:
> I recently posted an intent to package gview -- an image viewer
> built using gtk/imlib.  I finally got the thing built, and
> realized that there's a problem with it's binary (gview) and
> one of the binaries in various vim packages:
>
> <talon> !find gview
> <dpkg> talon: behold, gview is in this package: editors/vim,editors/vim-perl,editors/vim-tcl, editors/vim-python (/usr/bin/gview)
>
> while I'm not quite sure what the issue for non-path duplicate
> filenames would be, the fact that both of these lie in the path
> (yet not in the same place) seems to cause an issue.  I'm really
> not sure what to do -- it was suggested I rename my binary from
> gview to Gview -- but I decided it would be best to post here so
> that this can be discussed  before I rebuild/upload.

 Debian Policy Manual version 2.5.0.0, 1998-10-30

4.1. Binaries
-------------

     It is not allowed that two packages install programs with different
     functionality but with the same filenames. (The case of two programs
     having the same functionality but different implementations is handled
     via `alternatives.') If this case happens, one of the programs has to
     be renamed. The maintainers should report this to the developers'
     mailing and try to find a consensus about which package will have to
     be renamed. If a consensus can not be reached, _both_ programs must be
     renamed.

--
I consume, therefore I am