Re: Maintaining /etc/mail/xxx databases for sendmail

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Can't you parse sendmail.cf instead? Much easier (just search for lines
> beginning with K) and you can also get the type of the database. I say
> this because I customized some stuff in /usr/share/sendmail.cf/ and your
> script will probably fail on that.

Yeah, I could... but Allman & my contention is that sendmail.cf isn't
part of the UI (there being relatively no need to change it vs .mc
these days) ;-}

I'm curious about your /usr/share/sendmail.cf updates - these aren't
marked as conffiles...  Should they be?  Can I ask what kind of tweeks
you've got therein?

> Also, how about offering to create a makefile for this? I usually use a
> makefile to update the databases and it works great.

I'd like to do a Makefile, infact that is what I use...  However, I
don't know how to deal with variable named files within make ;-{

> >   * If a database needs to be moved (from /etc/ to /etc/mail), the
> >     script will do so
>
> I hope it only offers to do so?

Well, it should, but right now it just moves them -- but only the ones
where the user said FEATURE(mailertable) and the implied path will
change from 8.9.3-3 to 8.9.3-4

> > The script runs fine here, and at home, but I'd appreciate any
> > feedback before I inflict this puppy on others (especially since
> > it contains my first awk script).
>
> Hmm. You can also do this with just sh and sed. Much easier :).

Heh... but then I wouldn't have learned a tiny bit 'bout awk ;-}

--
Rick Nelson
C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL