Re: Removing bash (Was: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?)

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 07:27:22PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 00:31:10 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> >Someone following the stable distribution should NEVER encounter such a
> >situation. Someone who doesn't will take preparations to his liking (using
> >toor+sash, or whatever).
>
>     While I agree with the rest of your message, and I am on your side of
> this discussion, I disagree here.  Never, ever say never.

I did say that such a person *should* never encounter such a situation, and
very few will. Maybe my emphasizing was not very clear, sorry.

There are million ways to kill a system. We can't prepare for any silly
mistake someone could make at any point. Which is all I wanted to say
really.

> It worked, I CD'd the directory that the tars were going to and "rm -rf ."
> You can see it coming...  Wrong directory.  I was rm'ing the mounted root
> drive.  *MY* mistake which took a rock-solid system to its knees and force
> the need of disaster recovery tools in place.  If I, with 5+ years of unix
> experience, could make that fubar mistake, others can to.  :)

Sure. And there is *nothing* we could do about it. You could "rm" the
statically linked binaries by accident, too.

Thanks,
Marcus