Re: perl or libc6 bug?: getpwnam('root') in NIS environment

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 06:33:17PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
: In article <[🔎] ytt4smj6v44.fsf@gilgamesh.cse.ucsc.edu> you write:
:
: How do you have your /etc/shadow setup? In mine, I have at the bottom
: +::::::

No +::::: line in /etc/{passwd,shadow}.  I'm only relying on
/etc/nsswitch.conf

: That could also be significant, however, I always thought that
: NIS was never checked until it found the entry prefixed with "+"
: in the "real" file.

This is (IMHO) true if you have `compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

: >"the NIS server's /etc/shadow"? I wasn't aware that there was a
: >way of doing shadow over NIS.
:
: coming from secure ports, but this only works with login, which runs as
: root. It doesn't work for programs like xlock, which isn't SUID root
: anymore (it is SGID shadow).

Ooops, so an xlock would have problems in NIS enviroment with security
based on ports?

    Best Regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Gruesse aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann