Re: Cool logo!

*Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 05:16:41PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
>
> > Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:
> >
> > > Anyway, Raul's is nice too, but this one really grabs me.  Any shape
> > > that can look like a D, a G, and an L all at the same time gets bonus
> > > points :)
> >
> > Sounds like a nice image (I'm too lazy to go view it), but I don't
> > think we want to have a "G" *or* an "L" associated with Debian.  We're
> > not Linux specific and we're not even GNU specific (even if we only do
> > GNU systems right now).
> >
> > Debian is the project, GNU/Linux is one of our products.  It may never
> > happen, but a non-GNUish Debian *BSD is not out of the question.  Just
> > as an example.  And then there's my long-term plans for a Debian
> > Plan9clone....  :-)
>
> People keep saying that, but I can't imagine it really happening.  If in
> fact we ended up supporting *BSD kernels (as the undying thread continues to
> suggest) it would still be mostly GNUish userspace.  That was the point of
> GNU/Linux in the first place.
	I like the DG thing .  The worrying about meaniings and what we we
may provide in the future is silly.  If there were words involved, then I
would _begin_ to entertain discussions about whther it is appropriate.
(What about the National biscuit and 1000 other edible products
Company (nabisco), or international buisiness and personal machine company.)
Still, it needs proof that it can be rendered simply and small and light on
dark and dark on light .  Ian J's is  great on all these accounts, although
aesthetically , I agreee with a previous comment that it is somewhat
contrived . Reminds me of some kind of boy scouts or secret society or
something. But what the hell... maybe it will work.  Remember the
discussions we used to have as kids about whether the "great" rock bands had
great names, or if they just seemed great because you liked the band and
were used to it ?  The same may apply to logos. I think this whole volunteer
run operating system thing will fly about as well as a lead zeppelin  ;)

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org