Re: perl or libc6 bug?: getpwnam('root') in NIS environment

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 12:08:30AM +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> With mangling OFF I get the shadow entry for root from the NIS server.
> `ypmatch root passwd' returns `no such key' or similar
> `ypmatch root shadow.byname' returns the approbiate line from the shadow
> file ...
>
> I can always lookup the shadow.byname map completly.  (Not so for
> passwd!)
>
> With mangling ON it's a little bit cleaner ... but not completly clean.
> Why is the root (and other low uid) entry hidden from passwd.byname, but
> not from shadow.byname?

You're not being entirely clear here. Do ordinary users get the
passwords when doing ypmatch on shadow.byname? Did you enable mangling
for shadow.byname in /etc/ypserv.conf?

As to why root's entry exists in shadow.byname, it's because the
exclusion rules are based on uid's--which don't exist in the shadow
file. I meant to write a patch for this (there's probably a bug still
open) but never got around to it.

Mike STone