Re: suggestion for educational software section

*Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> >> "JL" == John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> writes:
> JL> There has been a little in the past year about how to change
> JL> things, but I don't think anyone has taken the bull by the horns
> JL> yet.
> As far as I can see, there we just need a wider and more detailed
> (officaly approved) structure and means to decide on extending
> it. Then we add a Purpose: filed (beside the Section: filed) to the
> control file, and voilà, a package can belong to multiple sections.
>
> We even have proof of concept implementations for this.
	What is that ?

The other thing people suggested was a more flexible logical structure,
something along the lines of keywords, so that package directories can be
built to suit different needs.  We need to think about two years from now
when there are 10,000 packages  in the distribution.

	This reminds me of someone's suggestion of a few weeks ago to
implement a more general depends mechanism so that standalone
sub-distributions can be easily built.  The sooner these things are
addressed, the smaller the crisis when the size of the distribution forces it
upon us.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org