Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Jonathan P Tomer wrote:

> > Well personally I really disklike to have mountpoints under /mnt..
> > so, do we have the next battle after /var/spool/mail versus /var/mail ?
>
> well, here's an option: make the common mount points a package of their own,
> which can be installed or deinstalled at the sysadmin's option. make it
> priority: std, and consist of no files but a preinst script and/or binary
> that detects any mountables you have and adds the fstab entries and
> mountpoints, with your choice of name and location. this oughtn't be too
> hard; if there's no serious opposition i shall post some code to the list or
> send it to santiago, he being the base-files maintainer.
>
> the package description should clearly say "this may make your system
> violate the fhs" and when the script is run it should give you some pointers
> on what to do to make it fhs-compliant (ie put all the mountpoints in /mnt
> or some similar place).

I missed the first of this thread, but this is what I have done:

PWD=/

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Dec 25 11:31 cdrom ->
/mnt/cdrom/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Jan  8 16:39 cdrom2 ->
/mnt/cdrom2/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Dec 25 11:31 floppy ->
/mnt/floppy/

PWD=/mnt

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jan 10 11:13 cdrom
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jan  1 03:05 cdrom2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Dec 25 11:31 floppy

just a suggestion for an implementation of such a package or standard or
whatever you wish to call it :)

Andrew Dvorak
JCommons@IRC