Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

> Well personally I really disklike to have mountpoints under /mnt..
> so, do we have the next battle after /var/spool/mail versus /var/mail ?

well, here's an option: make the common mount points a package of their own,
which can be installed or deinstalled at the sysadmin's option. make it
priority: std, and consist of no files but a preinst script and/or binary
that detects any mountables you have and adds the fstab entries and
mountpoints, with your choice of name and location. this oughtn't be too
hard; if there's no serious opposition i shall post some code to the list or
send it to santiago, he being the base-files maintainer.

the package description should clearly say "this may make your system
violate the fhs" and when the script is run it should give you some pointers
on what to do to make it fhs-compliant (ie put all the mountpoints in /mnt
or some similar place).

--phouchg
"For a price I'd do about anything, except pull the trigger: for that I'd
need a pretty good cause" -- Queensryche, "Revolution Calling"
PGP 5.0 key (0xE024447449) at http://cif.rochester.edu/~phouchg/pgpkey.txt