Re: perl or libc6 bug?: getpwnam('root') in NIS environment

    Miquel> There is. You setup /etc/ypserv.conf or
    Miquel> /etc/ypserv.securenets so that only a few listed machines
    Miquel> have access to the NIS server. Random windows or mac boxes
    Miquel> do NOT have access to anything on my ethernet.  Plus we're
    Miquel> using switched ethernet - no tapping.

This will work. It's a bit of a pain to manage, but there's really no
way about it.

    Miquel> You mean that it's not meaningful on a windows box. It's
    Miquel> useless for NIS aas well - it's too slow. I've tried to
    Miquel> use ident for NIS security - slow, as I said.

Just curious, but how do you then determine the user that's accessing
the maps?

    Ben> NIS is just full of holes

    Miquel> It's not any less safer as pop3, telnet, rlogin, or any
    Miquel> other of those old-style protocols

Absolutely agreed. :)

--
Brought to you by the letters B and V and the number 8.
"You have my pills!"