Need help building a package

I want to build a new package based on egcs-1.1.1.  It is a cross-compiler
for Atmel AVR microcontrollers.  It would be a huge waste for me to
include the entire egcs-1.1.1 source in my upload, as the total changes
to egcs for this new architecture are just on the order of kilobytes.

Is there a way to do this?

Should I instead make some patches to add the new target to the existing
egcs package, and ask the egcs maintainer to support the new target?

What if the patches I have are not ported to future versions of egcs?

Right now I'm leaning toward uploading the whole hog, but I'd rather find
some clean way to avoid that.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Tired of crashing?  Ask me about Debian GNU/Linux!       http://www.debian.org/
"Never ask a geek why; Just nod your head and back away slowly..." - D. Wineman