Re: user programs in /usr/X11R6

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > We currently seem to install application programs which run under X11R6
> > in /usr/X11R6.
> >
> > FSSTND says that that directory contains the X11R6 windowing system.
> > Do application programs become part of the windowing system?
> > IMHO, they do not, hence they do not belong in /usr/X11R6.
> >
> > I could not find the FHS on my debian system (I thought it used to be
> > installed along side the FSSTND) so I have not checked it.
>
> I put XWatch in /usr/X11R6/bin/xwatch because it has an
> app-defaults file:
>
>  /usr/X11R6/bin/xwatch
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XWatch
>
> I placed it there because the xbuffy package did so as well.
> But since there is a link for /usr/lib/X11 I suppose that could
> have been:
>
>  /usr/bin/xwatch
>  /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XWatch
>
> Would that be better?

I think it would be much worse, for two reasons:

1. Because policy says /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults should be used.
(this is in 5.7 "Programs for the X Windows system").

2. Because making dpkg to follow a symlink is currently a real nightmare
if you try later to have a "fixed" package having the files in the real
directory.

Thanks.

--
 "c7dfe77352c7e6290dd53962e88d5df0" (a truly random sig)