Re: sgml-tools, docbook: what is wrong?

"Richard B. Kreckel" <kreckel@zino.physik.uni-mainz.de> writes:

> After installing sgml-tools, docbook and so from slink I am still unable
> to use a simple example-document:
>
> <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN">
> <Article>
> <ArtHeader>
> <Title>FooBar</Title>
> </ArtHeader>
> <Para>
> blurb...
> </Para>
> </Article>
>
> It does recognize the DOCTYPE all right since the error is:
> /usr/bin/sgmlsasp: can't open `/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dist/article/groff/mapping': No such file or
> directory

The doctype for sgml-tools v1 is 'linuxdoc'.  Everything else will
give wierd errors.

> When I try to symlink things to /usr/lib/sgml-tools/dist/article/ to
> something existent (say, sgmltool/), sgml2txt complains about `printtoc'
> not defined and sgml2html returns rubbish. I guess that symlink was
> illegal anyhow...

Yeah.

> Can anybody please either tell me how to get started with writing
> SGML-documents or confirm that the packages are broken?
>
> I cannot yet submit a bug, since I don't have a clue what's wrong: the
> package, upstream or me.  ;-)

You, I'm afraid.

I'm working with Sven and Cees on getting sgmltools v2 into Potato,
not that I have a lot of free time I'm just sick of hearing the
complaining.  ;)

For now, use straight docbook.  Remco included some nice pointers on
that.

I'm sorry the curve on getting started with the SGML toolset is so
hard -- at least that's not just a Debian problem.  :)