sgml-tools, docbook: what is wrong?

After installing sgml-tools, docbook and so from slink I am still unable
to use a simple example-document:

<!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN">

It does recognize the DOCTYPE all right since the error is:
/usr/bin/sgmlsasp: can't open `/usr/lib/sgml-tools/dist/article/groff/mapping': No such file or

When I try to symlink things to /usr/lib/sgml-tools/dist/article/ to
something existent (say, sgmltool/), sgml2txt complains about `printtoc'
not defined and sgml2html returns rubbish. I guess that symlink was
illegal anyhow...

Can anybody please either tell me how to get started with writing
SGML-documents or confirm that the packages are broken?

I cannot yet submit a bug, since I don't have a clue what's wrong: the
package, upstream or me.  ;-)

PS: Please, please, don't tell me to read docbook-doc. That document is
    written in a write-only style...
Richard Kreckel