user programs in /usr/X11R6

Note; my intent here is not to start any sort of flame war.

We currently seem to install application programs which run under X11R6
in /usr/X11R6.

FSSTND says that that directory contains the X11R6 windowing system.
Do application programs become part of the windowing system?
IMHO, they do not, hence they do not belong in /usr/X11R6.

I could not find the FHS on my debian system (I thought it used to be
installed along side the FSSTND) so I have not checked it.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.