Re: Sendmail woes (was: make anacron a base package)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Why should I when you're the one attacking?  It is up to you to decipher
> it.  I think Joship has explained that better than I could.  You still have
> not grasped the simple concept that exim.conf is EASIER to READ and
> UNDERSTAND for those who will be taking the DEFAULT route.  Those who are
> more versed in MTAs and their operation who *MAY* want Sendmail won't take
> the default no matter *WHAT* we make it.  Coprehend that, yet?

I have been following this "conversation" for some time now, and I don't
see any new information provided by either side.

All of your above statements are subjective. Steve, while for you
exim.conf _is_ easier to read and understand, you must realise that not
everyone feels this is the case. Aside from badmouthing m4 (which is an
integrated part of the core system) for being software, I have seen not
one technical point made by you in favor of the exim.conf file over some
other config method. You and John are each far from the new user state,
and have different comfort levels with these two products. So what!

I was disapointed then the group decided that we needed "one" MTA to be
the "default" for Debian. This whole approach goes counter to the
fundamental premis, that Debian provides Free choices to the end user. Our
current approach makes taking optional choices more difficult for the new
user.

Most of this conversation effects me not in the least. I don't use an MTA
of any kind. I pop my mail from my ISP, and SMTP outgoing mail to one of
his mail servers.

This makes me a good "new user" subject, and I must say that the change
to exim hasn't changed the way a new use sees the MTA install. It still
uses the same "stupid" 5 questions in the config script. As a "new user" I
have no idea which one of these I am, and reading the documentation
doesn't help.

I have a single machine hooked to the net via PPP. This machine has a
fixed IP address, but I recieve my mail at another address, as the IP
address is only valid when I am logged in. I would like to deliver local
mail between local user accounts, receive mail from varous ISP accounts,
and send non-local mail through one of my ISPs servers. Which of the 5
options should I choose? Will it work out of the box?

I honestly don't care if there are 15 layers of implimentation language
between this configuation screen and the final integration of the software
into my system. I only want to have it work. None of the discussion so far
has addressed any of these "user" concerns. How about getting back on
track and stop wasting each others time.

Waiting is,

Dwarf