Re: Roxen 1.4 (CVS version)

    Jason> On 29 Mar 1999, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

    >> I've put a deb of the CVS version of Roxen Challenger (1.4) on
    >> papadoc for download.  It's the latest and the greatest! It's a
    >> _LOT_ faster than 1.2.46, it have some more modules.  The
    >> package is called 'roxen-cvs' and can be found with (apt line):

    Jason> Can you tell me if this new Roxen does the following:
    Jason>   1) Working http/1.1 keep-alive
    Jason>      a) Support for keep-alive 404 errors
    Jason>      b) Support for keep-alive IMS hits
    Jason>   2) Correct file timestamp headers that are actually in UTC
    Jason>   3) Working http/1.1 range: headers

I have no idea what you talking of, so I have no opinion on if it works
or not :)

However, doing a grep in the CVS source tree revels this:

----- s n i p -----
[ssh.papadoc]$ find -type f -exec grep -i keep[-_]alive {} \; -print
o Experimental keep-alive support added.
./CHANGES
and transmits role and keep-alive information, and a simplified
./extern/fast_cgi/README
  '--keep-alive'|'--with-keep-alive'|'--enable-keep-alive')
    DEFINES="-DKEEP_ALIVE $DEFINES"
      .B--with-keep-aliveB.:          Enable keep alive in the HTTP
./server/start
  request_headers = ([]);       // FIXME: KEEP-ALIVE?
#ifdef KEEP_ALIVE
    // This is an easy reason why: It breaks keep-alive totaly.
#ifdef KEEP_ALIVE
    myheads += ({ "Connection: Keep-Alive" });
#ifdef KEEP_ALIVE
./server/protocols/http.pike
----- s n i p -----

And when comparing http.pike with the one from 1.2.46 (and the 1.2beta1),
I could not see any differences when it comes to the KEEP_ALIVE stuff...

So it doesn't seem like much have changed since 1.2 beta 1.

    Jason> I have been telling debian mirror admins to not use roxen
    Jason> for serving the ftp archive because all previous versions
    Jason> had some combination of the above wrong with them. APT
    Jason> makes use of all those features and the Roxen people I
    Jason> talked with didn't seem to have any interest in adding
    Jason> them.

I'm running Roxen (oh, what a suprice :), and I have not seen any problem
with running apt against ether 1.2.46 nor 1.4 (have not tried the 1.2beta1,
since it was over a year since I was running that one)...

How would i check this?

(The diff on http.pike between 1.2 and 1.4 can be found at
   'http://papadoc.solheim.se/programs/roxen-cvs/http_1.2-1.4.patch'
 if anyone care to take a look and see if any of it matters...)

When you put out your 'warning', what version was it you had tried against?
1.2beta1 (in hamm/slink)?

--
    We are GNU.  You will be GPL'ed.  Resistance is futile.
 / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \  Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>

Panama explosion KGB Kennedy NSA Honduras FSF class struggle PLO
Noriega SDI Soviet kibo jihad NORAD