Re: IBM 390

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Tom McGivern wrote:

Found out the 'guru' behind our Exchange server didn't even know POP3 was
enabled. Too late now. }:)  If it wasn't for the fact that I'm changing
email addresses at work within a few weeks, I'd subscribe right now. ;P

> I believe Sid is confusing two different projects.  We have an R83/R24
> combination we are upgrading to an R55, these machines are seperate
> from the 742 that we're looking to do the linux port on.

*nods* Gotcha on that one.

> All hardware specs are available on IBMs web site.. (see email I sent you
> directly)

Specifications aren't everything. Nor does IBM release full hardware
specifications. I've got two shelves worth of RS/6000 and AIX
documentation to prove it. I will take a look when I get a chance,
though.

> there may be some concepts carried from the power pc to the s/390 line,
> but I don't think that will assist us in the conversion..  I don't
> believe the powerpc uses the PSW,  control registers, Dat tables, and
> whatnot that the S/3x0 uses.(I could be wrong, I know the internals of
> the S/3x0, but not much about powerpc)

The PowerPC does use control regs, IIRC. (I'm at work. It's 10:40a. I was
up til 4a working on some stuff. I am *not* coherent.) Either way, the
S/3x0 is going to be different. I'll have to take a look when I've got the
time, and I can speak in complete sentences longer than 3 words. ;)

-Phillip R. Jaenke [prj@unicent.com]
 Unix Guru Deluxe(TM) - Unicent Telecom
 216-344-2649 x4268 *or* 800-628-4888 x4268