Re: Howto implement device detection without thrashing

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 05:43:25PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> I could be wrong, but my impression from listening to the SCSI,
> transaction processing, and log-structured file system people was that
> even if you tell the OS to sync, there's no clear way to tell for sure
> that the data has been *physically* written to disk.  A sudden power
> interruption could still cause trouble.
But does that really matter here? We don't fear the user will suddenly swith
off the machine when autodetecting, we fear that probing some ports/irqs/...
will hand the machine. This probably won't effect the final processing of
the writes as long as the CPU and bus have done their work.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source