Re: Slink to potato upgrade

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 02:08:40AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Here is the issue: how are we going to make the glibc2 to glibc2.1
> upgrade as painless as possible? With the bo -> hamm upgrade the
> approach was reasonably simple: first move the a.out libraries out of
> the way and then install the new things. But that does not work for this
> upgrade.

TTBOMK, the theory is that nothing should be breaking with the move to
glibc2.1, so anything that does break is a bug in glibc2.1, except for
things like the jdk's use of internal symbols.

I've no idea what's involved in fixing glibc2.1 so that inetd and friends
don't need restarting, but that does seem the proper thing to do.

As far as dodgy programs relying on undocumented features, I've no idea
what could be done. Redoing those features just for jdk might be a good
idea, maybe. :-/

I'm assuming changing the so-name isn't an option since that means glibc2.1
programs compiled under RedHat won't run on a Debian system and vice-versa.

Just 2c from someone who doesn't really know what the issues are.

Cheers,
aj