Re: Slink to potato upgrade

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> Here is the issue: how are we going to make the glibc2 to glibc2.1
> upgrade as painless as possible? With the bo -> hamm upgrade the
> approach was reasonably simple: first move the a.out libraries out of
> the way and then install the new things. But that does not work for this
> upgrade.
>
> Right now the only answer I see is that anything that breaks should
> simply be ugpraded. But that is not a good solution: we really can't
> expect users to test all packages to see if they still work and upgrade
> those that don't. This means we need another approach to this.
>
> So, does anyone have some ideas about this?

After working with a broken system for about a week, I believe that
there is only one solution.  We have to allow both glibc2 and glib2.1
to be installed at the same time.  We should change the soname for
glib2.1.  Only packages which are tested with glib2.1 should link with
glib2.1.  Even if all of the Debian packages in 2.2 work with the new
libraries, Debian users will have problems with their programs.  Let's
play it safe and change the soname.

We should stick a "1:" in front of a good libc6 (pre glib2.1) release,
move glib2.1 to a different soname and move on.
--
Kevin Dalley
SETI Institute