Re: X11 version

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 11:48:49AM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> Software doesn't appear by magic in Debian; it takes volunteer effort. The
> Debian X maintainer has been quite busy doing the Great X Reorganization in
> time for the release of Debian 2.1. He's now working on 3.3.3.1.
>
> In the meantime, unofficial 3.3.3.1 debs are available.

Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about Vincent's unofficial 3.3.3.1
.debs; they should be more than enough to satisfy people who just want
support for their graphics hardware.

> I'm sure Branden would appreciate help; see the X Strike Force page
> (http://master.debian.org/~branden/xsf.html) for how you can help.

Well, with respect to the actual packaging process, I have more help than I
can handle right now :) .

Adam Heath, since I was working on 3.3.3.1 on his machine, sort of leaped
in and took the opportunity to help me accomplish points 1) and 2) on my
"Looking Ahead" list (see the XSF page).  In the course of doing this:

*) The X packages now have pristine sources.
*) The build process has been rejigged quite a bit, making the clean rule
and generation of the .diff.gz file MUCH faster
*) The built X tree is preserved above the source package directory between
builds, so that if the sources haven't changed, a rebuild can take place
lightning-quick (by X standards).

Of course, in managing to accomplish this, a couple of bugs have crept into
the build process and we're working on those.  But I'm confident that we'll
see the first test build of official 3.3.3.1 .debs by Tuesday or Wednesday.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;